Minimum Experience: Three years of work experience prior to graduate school
Education: Bachelor's Degree and currently enrolled in a graduate program in business, public policy, nonprofit management, or related field.
Deadline: January 16, 2017
The Summer Associate Program is a prestigious summer internship opportunity for graduate students to work in public sector consulting, create a civic network, and have a lasting, positive impact on Chicago and the broader region. Summer Associates participate in a specialized training program focused on core consulting, analytical problem solving, and project management skills.
They are then placed on teams working on a specific, high-impact client project for a public sector client working in education, public safety, healthcare, or economic development.
In addition to substantial client work, throughout the summer, Summer Associates will have exposure to senior civic executives and peers who are active in the civic sector through a series of networking events.
By participating in the program, Summer Associates will:
- Complete high-impact projects for the City of Chicago, working side-by-side with Civic Consulting Alliance consultants, pro bono partners, and senior leaders in Chicago government
- Develop an understanding of key consulting skills as well as public sector policies, operations, and challenges
- Interact with executives in the public and private sector
- Be registered in a graduate degree program in business, public policy, public affairs, not-for-profit management, or another related degree.
- Possess strong analytic, research, and communication skills
- Have the ability to work with a variety of teams in a complex political environment
- Demonstrate a record of success and an ability to solve problems in a variety of settings
- Desire to serve the City of Chicago, Cook County, and their respective agencies and departments
- Have at least three years of previous work experience
Summer Associates commit a minimum of 11 weeks from June through August. Potential exists for project-based work throughout the school year in exchange for class credit. Compensation for the summer program is $6,000 plus school matching funds with participating schools.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com:
- Resume and cover letter
- Three references (references will not be contacted without first talking to the candidate)
- One page response to the following: If you had the opportunity to assist the City of Chicago on a critical issue, which issue would you choose and why? What do you think are the critical components to solving this problem?
Please note "Summer Associate Application" in the email subject line. Thank you in advance for your interest in joining the Summer Associate Program at Civic Consulting Alliance.