Experienced Civic Fellow
The Civic Consulting Alliance works with public sector leaders dedicated to making lasting, positive change, and private sector leaders who contribute services pro bono to help create that change. This opportunity allows professionals to leverage their experience to address pressing local government business issues. Experienced Civic Fellows work on Chicago's most pressing issues, such as public education, environment, quality of life services, and workforce development. Fellows work alongside the Alliance's professional staff and private-sector partners to consult with senior-level government clients.
- Fellows typically work in teams of 2 or 3. You should identify a work partner(s) for this opportunity and jointly apply for the program. Teams serve to better balance workloads and are better suited to address complex issues.
- This is a volunteer opportunity, which requires about 20 hours a week per person. Work hours are generally flexible and require extensive client interaction.
- Work locations are flexible, but key meetings are at the client site or Civic Consulting's Loop office.
- Weekly problem-solving sessions with the Civic Consulting Alliance principals are required, as are weekly or bi-weekly client updates.
Fellows will have the opportunity to:
- Complete a high-impact project for the city of Chicago or one of its Sister Agencies
- Work with a Civic Consulting principal to define the problem, architect a solution and oversee implementation of the solution
- Work with senior executives in the Chicago government and gain valuable experience working within the context of a public-private partnership.
- At least 5 years of business experience, preferably in consulting or project management
- Masters degree in business, public policy, public affairs or related field
- Significant analytic, relationship management, research, and communication skills. Specific business skills may be required for some projects
- Ability to work with a variety of people in a complex political environment
- Track record of success in large organizations and ability to get things done in multiple settings
- Desire to serve the City of Chicago and its government agencies
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Resume and cover letter
- Three references (references will not be contacted without first talking to the candidate)
- Please note "Experienced Civic Fellow" in the email subject line